New North Yorkshire Council upcoming election and information
From next year there will be a new single council in North Yorkshire, providing all the services you are used to receiving. The new North Yorkshire Council will replace the seven district and borough councils as well as the county council on 1 April 2023.
In May you will be able to vote for one of 90 new councillors who will represent 89 new divisions. These councillors will serve for five years. For the first year they will represent the county council for its final year. They will then serve the new single council for its first four years.
The election will take place on Thursday 5 May 2022, alongside Parish and Town Council elections in the Selby District. The deadlines and timetable for both the North Yorkshire County and Parish Elections are the same.
Sherburn in Elmet - upcoming election and information
Sherburn in Elmet is one of the parishes within the Selby District Council area, which includes Tadcaster and Selby.
There are 12 Councillors on Sherburn in Elmet Parish Council who are elected to serve for a four-year term of office: the next election is on Thursday 5 May 2022 when all 12 seats are up for election. Selby District Council are the electoral body who manage the election process – a link to their website page can be found by clicking on the link below:-
Selby District Council
1.Nomination papers must be delivered BY HAND to the Returning Officer, Selby District Council, Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, YO8 9FT between 9.00am and 5.00pm on any working day after the date of this notice but no later than 4.00pm on Tuesday, 5th April 2022.
2. Nomination papers may be obtained from the offices of the Returning Officer, Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, SELBY, YO8 9FT, during the times stated above, or from www.selby.gov.uk/nycc22.
3. If the election is contested, the poll will take place on Thursday, 5th May 2022.
4. Applications to register to vote must reach the Electoral Registration Officer by 12 midnight on Thursday, 14th April 2022. Applications can be made online: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
5. Applications, amendments or cancellations of postal votes must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Selby District Council, Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, YO8 9FT by 5pm on Tuesday, 19th April 2022.
6. Applications to vote by proxy at this election must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Selby District Council, Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, YO8 9FT by 5pm on Tuesday, 26th April 2022.
7. Applications to vote by emergency proxy at this election must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Selby District Council Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, YO8 9FT by 5pm on Thursday, 5th May 2022.